I’ve been receiving a lot of correspondence recently regarding review requests so I thought it best to clarify a few things to save everybody time and effort when considering submitting them.
A few points about the blog:
- I don’t consider myself a critic. I read books that interest me and if I like them I share my thoughts on here. If you disagree with what I have to say about them that’s fine, it’s just my humble and honest opinion. If you want to discuss anything I review that’s also fine, I’m happy to do so. I tend to only write about the books I’ve liked, there’s enough negativity going around.
- I don’t make any money from this blog. I don’t do paid reviews here and I never will. Ebooks are my preferred method of reading but if any writer or publisher wants to send me a print copy of their book afterwards or any promotional items. I’ll happily accept it as I do love to collect books.
- I have no problem with self-published works, in fact I encourage them. All I ask is that they are well-prepared and if an ebook, are in a format I can read. I currently use a Kobo so epub format is best but I can also accept Kindle compatible mobi files. I’m not a big fan of receiving titles through Netgalley as it’s really awkward to download books from. Cloud storage links like Dropbox are fine also.
- The main genre I review is science fiction/horror/fantasy/spec fiction. There’s no point in sending me crime thrillers or romance novels. Also if you have a long series of books there’s not much point sending me the 15th instalment if I haven’t read the other 14.
- If you want to follow me on twitter my handle is @eamonambrose. Please don’t follow me just for the sake of it in the hope that I’ll read your book. If I follow you back and your Twitter feed is a constant bombardment of self-promotion you’ll get unfollowed pretty quickly and the likelihood of me reading your work is pretty slim. Auto DM’s will also get a rapid unfollow. Say hi! Talk! Engage! That’s how you get readers and followers no matter what the social media gurus tell you.
- Email is my preferred method for review requests. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org I don’t need much info just a brief synopsis and author bio. I try to answer any requests as quickly as possible but sometimes the odd email may slip through the net so feel free to contact me again after 7 days if you haven’t heard back. Personal emails are better, automated mailshots tend to get binned unless I’ve subscribed to your newsletter.
- I’m really busy. I have a day job and a family so my time for reading is very limited, but I do as much as I can. If I do accept your book for review it may take a few weeks before I get back to you, so please be patient. If you have an important event like a launch or promotion coming up and would like the book reviewed by a certain date let me know and I’ll do my best to help.
- This is a two-way relationship. I’m helping to promote your book so I’d appreciate if you’d help promote my blog. I don’t think it’s too much to ask. Please repost the blog review on whatever social media outlets you use and let people know about the blog. The more readers I have, the more readers you have!
- Keep in touch! I’ve developed some great relationships with authors since I’ve started the blog and I love to hear what’s going on.
- Publishers: I live in Ireland so if you’re in the US or Canada getting a print book to me will be pretty expensive. I’ve had a lot of review requests where the book has never arrived once the sender realises the postage cost! Again, ebook is fine. I have no issue with signing NDA’s or any other agreements to protect the integrity of your author’s work and any files I receive will not be shared under any circumstances.
Hopefully this answers any questions you may have.
Look forward to hearing from you.